The eyebrows are an anatomical unit in their own right and are essential for a harmonious look.
Alopecia of the eyebrows or decreases in density can have several causes: repeated hair removal, aging, trauma or scarring, frontal fibrous alopecia or alopecia areata.
Eyebrow transplant is a simple surgical technique that allows you to partially or completely densify or recreate the eyebrow region.
The principle is to take a mini strip of scalp in the occipital area (at the back of the skull). The hair is then separated from each other in order to obtain grafts from a hair, then it is implanted in the region of the eyebrow.
It takes about 100 to 150 grafts to redensify an eyebrow.
Que faut-il faire avant l’intervention ?
Laver les sourcils avec de l’isobetadine savon avant de venir au cabinet. Ne pas consommer de café ou de thé le jour de l’intervention. Venir avec des vêtements confortables. Il n’est pas nécessaire d’être à jeun pour l’intervention.
How is the intervention taking place?
The intervention lasts in total between 1:30 and 3 hours and is performed under local anesthesia with possibly a pre-medication. The first step is to remove the small strip from the back of the skull. This strip measures approximately 1.5 cm. This area is then closed with a suture or staples. The second part consists in the implantation of grafts at the level of the eyebrow.
What treatment after the intervention?
- An antibiotic treatment during 3 days.
- Pain treatment if necessary for 3 days.
- An anti-swelling treatment during 3 days.
- Local care: physiological serum to be driven on eyebrows regularly for 2 days and then wash eyebrows 2 x a day during 7 days to try to delicately take off the crust.
What are the operating suites?
There is no dressing after an eyebrow transplant, the grafts must remain in the open air.
- Swelling in the transplanted area may appear within 24 to 48 hours of the procedure. It quickly descends towards the eyelids, giving them a swollen appearance and disappearing after 3 to 4 days.
- Hematomas can also appear around the eyelids in the days that follow.
- Small crusts will form on each graft after 3 or 4 days. These will take about 5 to 7 days to fall.
- The regrowth of its hair will take place from the 3rd month. The growth of the new hair is then about 1 cm per month like the hair.
- Unlike the eyebrow hairs, the new implanted hairs maintain their growth rate, which is why after a transplant, maintenance of the eyebrows by regular cutting is necessary.
- 6 to 12 months are necessary to obtain the final result.
Can there be complications following the intervention?
Brow implantation is an effective and safe technique with very few complications; However, like any surgery, there can sometimes be some.
Sometimes there is an insufficient result or an asymmetry, this can be linked to poor graft taking or insufficient implantation (lack of density). Small skin micro-abscesses can occur on certain implanted follicles. This is rare and is usually treated with local care.